Brookhaven Town’s Department of Recycling and Sustainable Materials Management has added a glass drop-off site to the parking lot of the Center Moriches Library, officials announced.
As with other sites across the town, the recycling location has separate bins for green, brown and clear glass.
The library is located at 235 Montauk Highway in Center Moriches.
Currently, the glass is largely reused for municipal operations wherever sand is needed, such as road base for internal roads, drainage and construction of landfill.
By separating glass by color, the town said in a release that it has opened the door for larger-scale glass recycling and is currently in discussion with regional glass recyclers to establish a long-term program.
“We continue to increase our glass recycling by taking the steps that help make it more convenient and it appears to be working as our glass numbers continue to increase. I thank all the residents who are making the effort to recycle right in Brookhaven,” Supervisor Ed Romaine said.
Pictured left to right: Center Moriches Library Director Marcie Litjens, Supervisor Ed Romaine, Center Moriches Library Head of Reference and Technology Bob Chesnut and Town of Brookhaven Recycling Coordination Aide Zachary Sicardi.
The glass recycling drop-off locations in the Town of Brookhaven are:
- Brookhaven Town Hall One Independence Hill, Farmingville
- Brookhaven Landfill 350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven (Open M-F 7am to 2:45pm, Sat-Sun 7am to 12 noon)
- Manorville Compost Facility Papermill Road, Manorville (Open 7am to 3pm / closed 11:50am – 12:30pm)
- Holtsville Ecology Center 249 Buckley Road, Holtsville (Open Mon-Fri 9am to 3pm)
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center 739 Route 5A, Mt. Sinai
- New Village Recreation Center 20 Wireless Road, Centereach
- Town of Brookhaven Parking Lot Across from Three Village Inn, 150 Main Street, Stony Brook
- Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center 39 Montauk Highway, Blue Point
- Mastic Recreation Center 15 Herkimer Street, Mastic
- Fireman’s Field 25 Middle Country Road, Ridge
- Comsewogue Library 170 Terryville Road, Port Jefferson Station
- Center Moriches Library 235 Montauk Highway, Center Mortiches
Go to www.BrookhavenNY.gov/recycle for more information about the Town’s Recycling program, including the Curbside Recycling Schedule, Acceptable Recycling Materials Guide and Recycling Special Events.