Nicholas Esposito |

New York’s non-essential workers are being told they will have to stay home longer.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday that his state’s pause is extended until at least May 15. This means non-essential employees must continue to work from home and schools will stay closed until at least that date.

Cuomo’s stay-at-home order, New York State on PAUSE, started on March 22 to limit the spread of the coronavirus. It was later extended to April 15. The governor has said that he will continually re-evaluate the status of the pause every two weeks.

“Social distancing rules remain in place,” Cuomo wrote on Twitter on Thursday. “We must stay the course.”

Earlier this week, Cuomo made teamed with thesix other governors in the Northeastfor an economic restart plan.

Part of that plan, which goes into effect Friday at 8 p.m., is that essential worker and public transit users mustwear masks or face coverings in public situationswhere social distancing is not possible.

Cuomo said the re-opening plan will consist of four parts. See his Tweet below:

As of April 16, there were 213,779 statewide confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 11,586 deaths. Suffolk is the state’s third-highest area for positive cases with 23,278.

Check back at Greater Long Island‘s news sites for continued updates on the re-opening of New York.