Greater Long Island Media Group is seeking a motivated intern for the spring 2020 semester who is interested in learning how to promote local news media in the larger social media landscape.
Candidates should have a strong knowledge of the digital media landscape, including various social media sites. Interns will be responsible for contributing to the website, monitoring and posting on social networks, as well as participating in online outreach and promotion.
Projects may include:
- Creating engaging blog and social media content, including fresh photography and well-written captions.
- Create short, engaging videos.
- Attending parades and ceremonies to take photos for use on social media and on the website.
- Reach out to local businesses for events and coverage requests
- Direct message businesses relaying coverage, etc.
- Helping build and promote site(s) calendars
- Basic Knowledge of how to post and engage readers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Basic photo editing skills.
- Video editing skills a plus.
- Able to work 15 hours weekly, especially weekends
- Basic knowledge of WordPress
- Personal transportation to go as far east as Eastport
- Camera/smart phone
This is an unpaid internship that can be done for academic credit.
Started in 2015 by seasoned journalist and Long Island native Michael White, the Greater brand covers Babylon, Bay Shore, Moriches, Patchogue and Port Jefferson and their surrounding areas and focuses on features and community news as opposed to crime and politics.
GreaterMoriches is managed by husband-and-wife team Carl and Angela Corry. Carl is the former executive producer for News12 Interactive and former online local news editor for Newsday. He currently teaches journalism at Suffolk County Community College. Angela is the former editor in chief of TheCelebrityCafe.com and is currently the senior managing editor for Inquisitr.com.
The Sayville site is run by Brian Harmon, former New York Daily News assistant metro editor.
The Greater-brand news sites were viewed 2.1 million times in 2018, with 1.25 million unique visitors and is listed with major search engines and Google News.
If the form does not load, please click here to apply – https://forms.gle/zdsB7UsMq4SxS1CG9