The Mastic Recreation Center is among four new locations in the Town of Brookhaven added as a glass recycling drop-off site.
The other three locations include the Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center in Blue Point, Fireman’s Field in Ridge and the Comsewogue Public Library in Port Jefferson. At every location there are bins for green, brown and clear glass.
Currently, the glass is largely reused for municipal operations wherever sand is needed – road base for internal roads, drainage, construction of landfill, etc.
By separating glass by color, the town has opened the door for larger-scale glass recycling and is currently in discussion with regional glass recyclers to establish a long-term program, according to a statement. The town plans to add more glass recycling drop-off locations in the future.
The glass recycling drop-off locations in the Town of Brookhaven are:
- Brookhaven Town Hall: One Independence Hill, Farmingville
- Brookhaven Landfill: 350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven (Monday to Friday, 7 a.m.-2:45 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 7 a.m.-noon)
- Manorville Compost Facility: Papermill Road, Manorville (7 a.m. to 3 p.m. | closed 11:50 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)
- Holtsville Ecology Center: 249 Buckley Road, Holtsville (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.)
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center: 739 Route 5A, Mt. Sinai
- New Village Recreation Center: 20 Wireless Road, Centereach
- Town of Brookhaven Parking Lot: Across Three Village Inn, 150 Main Street, Stony Brook
- Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center: 39 Montauk Highway, Blue Point
- Mastic Recreation Center: 15 Herkimer Street, Mastic
- Fireman’s Field: 25 Middle Country Road, Ridge
- Comsewogue Library: 170 Terryville Road, Port Jefferson Station
Visit brookhavenny.gov/recycle for more information about the town’s recycling program, including the Curbside recycling schedule, acceptable recycling materials guide and recycling special events.